Monday, June 27, 2005

A Tribute To Sir, Part 2

There are many words which could be used to describe the way Dr Song teaches but direct and helpful aren't usually the best words to be used.

That led to many moments of frustration for me, learning under him. He would always deflect your questions and lead you down paths that apparently went nowhere. If cornered, he would just stonewall you. Vague was often an understatement.

Dr Song would never compliment my progress and he would never give me a true idea of where I stood. There were times when I was led to believe that I was much greater than I actually was and there were times when I truly felt like a hopeless failure.

Being my usual stubborn self, I could not accept such treatment or mind games. And thus I railed and rebeled and resisted against him.

Which only led him to ignore me.

Until the day came where I gave up resisting and asked him again for help. With that, he told me to start from scratch. Begin anew. Become a beginner.

Finding no other avenues to turn to, I submitted and agreed.

And the revelations began.

He was never vague, he was pointing me to the most obvious way to progress. He was never playing mind games, the mind games were all in my own mind and of my own creation. And he was never cold, he only demanded obedience if you wanted to learn what he had to teach.

Along the way I learnt lessons of humility, of the dangers of pride, of controlling my temper, of helping my juniors and most importantly, of learning from my juniors.

Before I left KL, I told him that I learnt more than just Tai Chi from him, but rather lessons on life.

And a truer sentence I have never spoke.

....to be continued

1 Comments:

Blogger Yvan said...

Hi Mark,
the article "Huang Sheng-Shyan" is slightly modified article "THE TAIJI JOURNEY OF HUANG SHENG-SHYAN" http://www.taijiquan.co.nz/journey.htm from taiji web of my teacher Wee Kee-Jin. Why are you not giving info about the original text?

2:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home